Sunday, December 20, 2009

Merry Christmas!

It must have been cold.  No doubt it was dark.  Undoubtedly it was unexpected.  From out of the darkness an angel appears wrapped in heavenly light.  Terror fills both shepherd and sheep.  He was sent by the Father to share Good News; a Savior has been born.  News not just for the shepherds, but for you and me, for all people.   It was not to bring condemnation, but to bring joy.  He speaks to the shepherds and he says, "Do not be afraid."

So, we attempt to live out the angels proclamation to not fear, yet not always with success.

We have feared facing Christmas day without David's child like faith and love for Christmas. We at times fear the unexpected ways in which grief wraps it's tentacles around us, battering our tender hearts.  Sometimes as I talk or share with people about David I can feel my heart breaking, and I fear breaking down in front of them.  I fear the the potential negative impact of David's suffering and death on Chris and Dan. 

Thankfully I cling to another message given again by an angel.  The angel Gabriel comes to Mary to tell her she was going to give birth to the Savior of the world.  She of course ask the obvious question, "How will this be since I am a virgin?"
 

Listen to his response, "For nothing is impossible with God." Nothing!

If that is true, I have nothing to fear.  Christmas will be different but a time of celebration and joy.  When grief rears it's ugly head, we will meet it head on and cling to God's promise to never leave us or forsake us.  When my tear flow freely, I will will remind myself that even Christ cried when he lost his friend Lazarus.  When I worry about my boys, I will lift them in prayer before God, reminding myself that God loves them even more than I do.  I have nothing to fear.

I hope you too will discover the peace in knowing that with Christ there is nothing to fear.  Join me in joining with the angels in praising the birth of our Savior.
 13 Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,

14     “Glory to God in the highest,
and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests.” 

May his favor rest on you.




1 comment:

  1. What a blessing to see your family at service last night. Thank you for the blanket of gifts that you wrap around each of us as you share your journey. His favor rests on each of us and more so, because of the gift of the each of you. Peace on earth...and Merry Christmas...
    Love, Lyz W.

    ReplyDelete