Saturday, December 5, 2009

What do I miss about David

I find myself thinking about David a lot these days. Sometimes a song will come on the radio and it almost seems to transport me to another time and space where David is still trying to sing his version of the song as he waves his hands to the beat of the song. Unfortunately the transporter fails to truly transport me and all I hear is silence. I walk by his room and I feel drawn to open his door and look in. It's still empty. In the basement sits his Christmas Tree, taped shut in a box, not to be opened this year. No blinking colored star, blue lights, and special ornaments. They too are sealed up, wrapped in tissue paper, sitting high on a shelf in the darkness of the basement, wondering if they will ever be hung again. Do we hang his stocking this year made by his Nana? Christmas music makes me think about David. As soon as Sunny 102 started playing Christmas songs, way before Thanksgiving, David was already listening. They sound a little different this year, a little flatter.

I miss him so much. Even though I often would complain about the noise level in our home with so much going on, I miss it. I miss hearing Adventures in Odyssey, country music, phone calls, aids sharing life stories and adventures with David, and base ball. I miss going for ice cream, eating breakfast at Dave's Diner, hanging out in the hot tub, or watching Annie for the 30th time.

One of the things I miss the most is just holding him. I loved hugging him. While he was 20 years old, he still let me hold him, rub his back, and run my fingers through his hair. He hated thunderstorms so I would often climb into bed with him, hold his hand or simply rest my hand on his shoulder. I can't do that anymore. He was soft and cuddly. He was like the Pillsbury doe boy. But the softness is gone.

In the book, Lament for a Son, a father who lost his son writes the following words after they had buried his son;

"I catch myself: Was it him we laid in the earth? I had touched his cheek. Its cold still hardness pushed me back. Death, I knew, was cold. And death was still. But nobody had mentioned that all the softness went out. His spirit had departed and taken along the warmth and activity and, yes, the softness. He was gone."


I miss David's softness. As I shaved David for the last time and dressed him before he was placed in the casket, I knew David was gone. His softness had departed. I look forward to feeling it again. I miss you David.

6 comments:

  1. sometimes when I listen to b104 and hear a song, I can still see David, smiling. I miss him too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should put up David's tree. Everthing's different, nothings the same, but you should celebrate his life in heaven. He will always be your son and putting up his tree may help you to feel his softness. My beloved Dad passed away 4 yeasrs ago. When we were in church, he would always grab my hand and squeeze it tightly during a prayer. Just yesterday, as I often do from time to time, I close my eyes and squeeze one hand with the other, just to try and get that feeling back. Just to remember that warm, soft feeling. You never get over missing that soft feeling, but I smile (and cry!) when I try to remember it. I think you should put up David's tree and smile. JY

    ReplyDelete
  3. i read this and i feel your pain. i miss him too and think of him most often when i hear one of his songs, they make me smile and choked up all at the same time. you are such a good writer warren and your story is so powerful. have you ever considered publishing your blog as a book? i think of something someone said at his memorial about how he wasn't done touching people's lives yet - he isn't... he continues to change peoples outlook on life everytime someone tells his story, and you and brenda tell his story the best. i remember how he loved to hear you guys tell him stories about himself. watching him laughing as he remembered was the best.

    thank you so much for the trophy - it is a treasure to us. still and always in our thoughts and prayers
    kristy keesler

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet posting. So tender and intimate of a moment to cherish. I have a local blog friend who also lost her son about a year and a half ago. When faced with the first Christmas without her precious baby (he was only 6 months old when he passed), she grappled with what to do with his stocking as well. What she concluded was very wonderful and I thought I would share it with you. She first made the acknowledgement that Jeremy would always be one of her children, just not an earthly child....he waits for her in her forever home with her savior. Second, she knew Christmas would not feel complete without hanging a stocking for every one of her children but she couldn't bear to leave it empty. Rather than struggling to decide what on earth she could fill it with, she decided to turn her grief into action. She asked for people to share whatever gift they would have liked Jeremy to have and then in turn she donated these items to the PICU at Johns Hopkins where Jeremy spent his final months. Giving to families that are facing the same trials they faced, brought her some sort of comfort in knowing that she was able to provide something they needed. She was able to take some time on Christmas day, go to the hospital herself, and deliver these items to the families and children that were stuck in the hospital for the holidays.

    I don't know how you would apply that idea to David's life...maybe having people donate gifts to put under his tree for the many volunteers that spent countless hours with him. Wouldn't it be lovely if on Christmas morning you could hand deliver the gifts as if David were still present to show his gratitude to the many individuals who touched his life. As I am sure there may be too many to hand deliver, you could even place the tree at church, allowing the volunteers to select a gift for themselves at the Christmas service.

    Just a thought as you struggle to know what the proper thing is to do with these items. The answer is simple....it's up to you. There is no right or wrong way to handle these things. You must face them and deal with them in the only way you know how. You already recognize the most important thing and that is that David is with his King for Christmas Day. Celebrating the birth of his Savior face to face! What a wonderful gift for him! The rest of it will fall into place and I'm sure will make for a beautiful holiday for your family.

    Praying for you in your pain and rejoicing in your continued faith!

    In Christ,
    Julie Parry Jensen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Julie's idea! I wrote the previous comment, suggesting you put up David's tree and Julie's idea is beautiful! I love the idea of putting up David;s tree and having people donate for all the volunteers. I'm sure David would love that! But I also agree, it is up to your family. Only you know what is right for you and you will find it. Jeni Y.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart aches for your sadness....

    ReplyDelete