Friday, February 12, 2010

The Dash In Between

This morning as I was relaxing in my recliner, yellow fire dancing in the fireplace, sipping a dark french roast coffee from Brueggars, enjoying the beginning of a new day, my cell phone rang, indicating I had just received a text message.  It was from my son, Daniel.  It simply said,

"Mr. Shafer from English died this morning."  

I don't know who Mr. Shafer is, if he was sick, or what he died from; all I know is that he passed away sometime this morning.  It wasn't planned.  I'm sure it caught his family, friends, and students by surprise.  I know that they are grieving.  My heart breaks for all of them.  Please pray for his family.

Mr. Shafer's death stirred something inside of me.  At first I couldn't identify it.  It took me a few minutes to wrap my head around the emotion I was feeling.  And then it became clear, it was fear.  Not the fear of actually dying, although I don't particularly look forward to it, but the fear of getting to the end of my life and discovering that I had wasted my life.  It could have just as easily been a text from one of Daniel's friends to their parents saying, "Dan Pfohl's father died this morning."  I wondered if I knew tomorrow was my last day how I would live my life differently today?

Not wanting to really think about this I packed my gym bag and drove to the YMCA to work out.  As I watched my heart rate climb to 140 beats per minute my mind was going even faster as I thought about my Dad's unexpected death at the age of 58, David's death at the age of 20, and now Mr. Shafer.  In an attempt to slow down my mind or even shut out the myriad of thoughts passing through my brain I plugged my skullcap headphones into my itouch and selected a Chris Rice album, Amusing.  A couple songs into the album his song, Tick Tock started playing.  If you have a few minutes listen to the song: Tick Tock by Chris Rice.  

It was the exact song I needed to hear.  It took my racing thoughts and slowed them down.  It remineded me that its not important how long I live but how well I live today, moment by moment that really matters.    David's short life is a perfect example of this.  What matters is how well we live the dash out on our tombstone.  (You really do have to listen to the song.)

Thank you Mr. Shafer for living out your dash the best you could.  While I am sure you were used in the lives of many students and people thorughout your life, even in your death God used you to motivate me to make my life count.

How are you doing at living out your dash?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your posts. They really help bring forth what is important, not only in this life, but in our life to come.

    This past week as I sat on an airplane, terrified of the windshear ( shear wind??) effect that we were experiencing on the plane, I prayed, I read God's word and then I thought, " Will I hear, Well Done my good and faithful servant"?
    But yet, here I am, we made it, so , What is left undone?
    I have no doubt David heard those very words. The event and effects of his passing is still gripping all of us.
    Just trying to learn to be His faithful servant and looking forward to hearing David's angelic voice as he sings in Heaven.
    Thank you again for your post.
    God's Love To all of You,

    Mary B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Shafer was my English teacher in 11th grade, Dad. That's really sad. He was probably younger than you...

    ReplyDelete