Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Many have asked for David's article

The message Doug gave at David's memorial service was in part based on an article David wrote for a school project. Many of you have asked for a copy of it. Here it is:

My World Has Changed
I Learned That Life is Not Fair - But I Don't Have to Face It Alone Anymore

By David Pfohl

In the blink of an eye, in the drop of a minute, the way I look at the world changed.

For so long I have been very positive about my world. I looked at the good things and made the best of a not-perfect world. I was an encourager, a smiling face walking through the halls talking and chatting with everyone. Connections meant everything to me. I learned new ways to do simple things. I coped and always tried my best. I didn't pay attention to fairness. I was cheerful and happy.

Last week I started to look at fairness differently. I realized that I had lost more vision and started thinking, "This world isn't a fair world; it's an unfair, nasty world." I started asking God every day, Why?

I decided it was okay to cray to Him and my friends and not just keep it to myself. Some of my joy has been replaced with pain and sorrow.

It's really hard not to dwell on my loss when I see people on TV and other students playing sports. The only way for me to play baseball is in the backyard by myself, or sometimes with my dad.

When I hear kids talking about how cool it is to play soccer, baseball, and basketball, sometimes it makes me feel angry and jealous. Sometimes people take their sports ability for granted.

I would give almost anything to be able to play baseball. Now the only way I can feel a part of baseball is by sitting in the stand or listening to the TV.

My sight loss has cost me friends. The girls I know are really nice to me, but I wish I had more guy friends. With guys you can share your wishes for goals and tell them about who you really want to be. I really wish I had people to walk to classes with. this morning before school I thought, "Why do I always have to walk alone?"

One of the things about my life that is unfair is that people tease me. I'm not the only one who gets teased in this school. Treating people disrespectfully and teasing them is rude and wrong.

When somebody teases me, I get upset. Nobody can understand what I go through. Nobody can walk in my shoes. Nobody can cry the same way I do.

When a friend listens to my problems, it relieves some pressure. When I recently told two friends that I had lost more sight, they said, "I can't imagine how you feel." That was an honest answer.

Certain songs help me feel free. Music is appealing to my heart. A song like "Amazing Grace" is sweet because it reminds me that someday I will see again. I can't wait until I see again.

I still am the person who loves to encourage people and be happy, but now I need to share more with others. I carry a little more need inside. I don't need to do it alone anymore.

[David was a prophet, wise beyond his years. I hope all of us take to heart the closing line of his essay, "I don't need to do it alone anymore." We were created to be in community with God and with others! We are doing well. Brenda is finally getting over the flu, bronchitis, and an ear infection. I went back to work a couple weeks ago and Daniel is working at catching up at school. The house is very quiet. We are still getting used to this change. I promise to write more later. ]

4 comments:

  1. God Bless all of you. John and I think of you everyday. Thank you for sharing Davids article.
    He was very wise beyond his years. Even without his vision, David could see things that none of us could.
    That is how God works.

    With Love In Christ,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting. it's sad to know David had to struggle, but its so true that now he can see, and that he held onto that hope in Christ.

    -Jess Pfohl :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES I WAS VERY TOUCHED BY DAVID'S WORDS. I HAVE THOUGHT MANY TIMES ABOUT IT.I WAS THINKING HOW MANY TEENS COULD BENIFIT FROM HEARING THESE WORDS AND MAY EVEN CREATE THE ABILITY FOR SOME TO LEARN TO BE KINDER TO THIER PEERS AND ALSO NOT TO TAKE FOR GRANTED WHAT THEY HAVE. I THINK DAVID CAN TOUCH SO MANY LIVES THROUGH HIS WORDS.HIS WORK IS NOT FINISHED! WHAT AN AMAZING MAN!!! SENDING OUR LOVE,
    ANNE,ED MEG AND JP MILLER

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can say is, "WOW!" David's words give an insight into the world of pain & suffering!!! Thank GOD, Jesus was a Man of Sorrow and knows our pain and sorrow intimately.

    ReplyDelete