Tuesday, September 1, 2009

November 2, 1999

This is the first date found in my journal. It was David's 11th birthday. A friend of mine gave me the journal after hearing me speak one Sunday on pain. She said I really needed to start recording my journey, thoughts and feelings. My biggest concern in starting to journal was starting and not continuing. In fact I jotted down that fear in my first entry. My next entry was 11/8/1999 followed by 06/11/2009! Ten years! I guess I'm a prophet.

Now I write on a daily basis. The counselor I have been seeing encouraged me to start writing letters to David as a way to express some of the things that get bottled up inside of me. I then share my letters with Brenda and we sit there and cry, pray, seek strength to deal with the pain of trusting God with our broken dream, the pain of David's loss and struggle, and the battle of saying, like Jesus did, "Your will be done, not mine!" I also journal how I am hearing from God as I read his word and other thoughts, verses, or questions that often fill my mind.

The following is an excerpt from my first entry on 11/02/99. It is a tiny glimpse or peak into the first few awkward steps in our journey.

A year ago this Thanksgiving, our second son, David Gregory Pfohl, was diagnosed with a hellish disease, Batten's Disease. He still doesn't know the the seriousness of his disease. David is legally blind. Two and a half years ago David was a normal sighted kid. He enjoyed reading, coloring, and all the normal things eight year olds like to do. It seems as if in the twinkling of an eye David plunged into the darkness of vision loss.

The pit I feel in my stomach as I write these words was magnified when the doctor told us the severity and untreatable nature of Battens. The feeling of helplessness was overwhelming. We walked to our car knowing that our lives had been for ever changed. We were numb. We felt betrayed by God. We didn't want to believe the doctors.

While we knew God was in control there was very little that we saw in those first few days that indicated any sense of control, care, or love from God. We cried daily if not hourly...We knew our thoughts were not clear. The pain was so real, so tangible you could feel it. It felt as if it would never go away. I would read a stupid Readers Digest article in the bathroom and begin to sob. I would lay in bed listening to Brenda cry so hard I thought she would die, yet I didn't have the energy or knowledge as to how to help her, so I would cover my ears and pray she would stop.

Every time David stumbles or can't find a toy sitting in front of him you are reminded of his loss. He no longer can see my face, to see my pleasure or anger. He often feels my face telling me I am going bald or I need a shave. I love those times.

From time to time I will share more of my journal with you. While the pain has remained a constant, our ability to see the hand of God has grown. We believe God is good and we believe God's will is best. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

2 comments:

  1. How hard it is to read those words, yet so precious that you allow us to be a part of this journey with you. I believe this part of your journey is very important...letting others in, showing your raw and real emotions, and allowing God to use those experiences to be a witness to others. You may wonder how you can be a witness through your pain and even your anger and feeling betrayed by God. I think it's so important for people on the outside to see that you are real. Real people, with real feelings, real hurt, real doubts, real fears, and real problems.

    I faced a similar feeling yesterday, on a MUCH smaller scale as I have never had to face having a child with a debilitating disease. This summer had been a struggle in more ways than one. My tutoring business was slow and has now hit a wall. I've been looking for and applying for jobs all summer, to no avail, even with my Special Education background. As a result of lack of work, our finances are beyond limited and we are honestly not sure where the money will come from each month. To make matters even worse, my antidepressants stopped working and my depression hit the lowest place it has been in 10 years. Yesterday was the icing on the cake. My husband was diagnosed as having bipolar disorder. Well just bring it on, why don't ya, Lord? What is going on here? I went out for a drive to cry it out, yell it out, and try not to let my husband and kids see my pain. I was angry. I felt, as you said, betrayed by God. I had been trying so hard all summer to put my faith in Him, give Him glory, and believe He would come through for me. Why was one more thing being heaped on my already full plate of stress? I didn't sign up for this! I didn't want this kind of marriage. I'm not emotionally stable to help my husband through this, Lord. What were you thinking? How on earth can I possibly take on helping him cope with his emotional instability when my own is like quicksand?

    When I got home I pulled up my blog to try and find some encouragement through my past posts. I noticed you had updated your blog so I checked it out to see how things are going. How humbled was I to read the words of your daily struggles with your precious son! How selfish of me to complain about such trivial problems when my children are healthy? God whispered the answer to me through your blog, "They didn't sign up for THIS. They didn't think they could deal with THIS. They didn't think they had the emotional strength to deal with the daily pain this illness would bring." You know what else He reminded me of....we don't have to have the strength because HE does. He doesn't wish for us to have the pain we face in life, but He does hold us when we hurt. He doesn't want us to have to deal with this, but He helps us learn how to. He doesn't ask us to hold the weight alone, He bears the burden for us.

    Thank you for sharing your story with us. As heartwrenching as it is to see friends go through such pain, it's wonderful to see the glory of God shining through every moment. He is good, His will is best, and His hand is ever present in your lives.

    In Him,
    Julie Jensen
    Catonsville, MD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Warren,
    I am so glad that you are writing this blog. As you know, because you have suggested it to me, writing is a great way to express yourself and get all of your feelings out without interruption. I want you and Brenda to know that we think about all of you everyday and we love you all so much. You are the kindest people we have ever met and you have been there for us more than once. We thank God that you all came into our lives and we want to be there for any of you should you ever need us. We pray for your family daily. Love, Dawn, Mike and Karli

    ReplyDelete