Thursday, September 3, 2009

"The twinkle in David's eye was back."

David's music therapist called us last night just to tell us how well he had done. She said, "The twinkle in David's eye was back." The two aids who had worked with David yesterday also said David really enjoyed himself and was happy. God is so good. There is no doubt in my mind that your prayers are making a difference. Please don't stop! As David enjoyed lunch and dinner out, train watching, music therapy, the movie, Annie, and lots of laughter, Brenda, Daniel, Katie and I went to the New York State Fair. As I am writing I can hear David out in the kitchen with Brenda and Laura asking for a cup of coffee, sounding very content and happy. He is already showered, already used the bathroom, and ready for breakfast. He still is not as chatty as he was, and we still miss his spontaneous laughter and comments, but he is so much more content. What a change from just a week ago.

Some of you have emailed me to say you don't know how to leave a reply or leave a note after one of my posts. At the bottom of each post you will find the word 'comment'. There may be a number before the word comment, indicating how many other people have already left a note. Click on the word comment. Scroll down until you see a box with the words above it, Post a Comment. Type your comment in the white box. When you are done click the words, Post Comment. That is all there is to it.

So lets try it. Brenda and I often hear people say, "David has made such a difference in my life.", or "My faith has really been challenged as I watch David and the joy he has.", or "Your family has really been a blessing to us." What do you mean? How has David's child like faith challenged you? How has the brokenness of David's situation and the way our family has responded helped you in your personal journey? We would love to hear from you.

6 comments:

  1. David has made all well with my soul! My favorite moment was while I was helping him write a letter to a friend who had just lost his dad. David poured out God's promises to his friend as well as love and compassion. Such a wise boy at such a young age. Thank you for sharing him with me (: Our love and prayers are with all of you 24/7. Chris Y.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to comment that David has laughed spontaneously the last two days and it was wonderful!! I love to see his face light up. He is a constant reminder of how great our God can be. Despite the downside of David's disease, there is still a tremendous amount of goodness. And David is a constant reminder of how great life can be no matter what we are going through. David has encouraged me to pray more every day. He loves to pray with me and asks to do so every time we are together. He has made me into a stronger person as well as your whole family. I want to thank you for allowing me to be a part of your journey. Kim V.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last July, you preached on David... and reminded us of Matt. 6:25-34... and Lamentations 3:22,23. I have those verses posted on my bathroom mirror... they are the first thing I look at every morning ("His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfullness") At that time last year... I was going through a lot of turmoil and worry... Listening to you talk about David... and how you handle his disease, really pulled me out of myself and reminded me that our Lord is ALWAYS holding us right in His hands... we just have to lean back... and allow him to comfort us. Thank you for your transparency... for allowing us to be a part of your struggle. Your whole family is so precious to me and my family! One of my favorite memories of David is you riding him over to our house on the tandem bicycle... and watching the joy in his face as he interacts with my children. I remember giving him Henry to hold when he was an infant... and David didn't know WHAT to do with him!! (what is this squirmy thing!)
    We love you all so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can think of a about a million and one ways that david has inspired me in the time that i have known him - but there have a few times in particular that he simply took my breath away.
    during the new building campaign at eastern hills there was a 24 hour prayer vigil. david was participating during the same hour that my husband and i were. tward the end of our hour we were asked to break into groups of 2 to pray for the church and to pray for any of our own needs. my husband and i partnered off and david and his partner were sitting beside us. after we prayed aloud together sean and i sat silent. david was still praying aloud and we heard him very sweetly ask for God to bless the new church, to bless each person in his family and then finally he asked for God to return his vision. sean and i were both moved to tears. what a wonderful and faithful young man. on the way out i nudged david to say hello and he spontaneously broke out into some song (in the way that only david can) and promised to call me later for a match of trivia. how could i help but to smile. i smile even thinking of it. what a joy. i love that kid. EVERYBODY loves that kid - and seeing him live out his faith is amazing to everyone who is lucky enough to know him. i am so glad to call him and all of you pfhols our friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. David's emotional understanding has touched me deeply. Last year was hard for us. David found out that I had lost the baby that I was carrying and he was deeply concerned for us. His saddness for us was so deep that I could see the pain on his face. He brought me flowers and hugged me. I told him that we were going to be ok... but in that moment I looked at the pain on his face for me and understood that he truly was feeling the same pain that I was. He showed me what empathy really looks like because on that day he looked as sad as I felt. He just understood and I'm grateful for my time with him that day.
    -carrie

    ReplyDelete
  6. David's challenge in his life gives me a perspective of what is important and who is important in life. You ask what is important and who? God and his will and his timing. He is not as concerned about our comfort as he is our character. How we respond to the situation He puts in our path. I am afraid I am all too human most of the time. So God's grace is all I need then. As an adult with an elementry school aged child and a nursery school child. I was rendered in a helpless vulnerable state of being. Others felt the helplessness and mainly poor Greg felt all alone. The memories of the anxiousness from the hormones given off by the hormonal tumor on my heart were inhumanly painful. I closed my eyes once and asked God if I was going to die in that hospital to please do so. He did not and I am here about 12 years later. I have empathy!!! Sandy

    ReplyDelete