Thursday, October 15, 2009

Hospice

Today we dipped our toes into the world of Hospice. It's purpose as stated in the information they left with us is as follows:

"Hospice of Central New York provides skilled, compassionate care to patients and their families coping with advanced illness and limited life expectancy. Care is focused on comfort rather than cure. We want to help people make the most of the time they have together, whether it is six months or six days."

We are hoping to officially register with them tomorrow. They are checking to make sure our involvement with them will not effect or cancel our current program and support staff. If you want more information on who and what Hospice is please click on the following links:

hospicecny.org

nationalhospicefoundation.org

dyingwell.org

As you can imagine there is a cacophony of emotions, feelings, and thoughts that parade through our minds and heart on a moment by moment basis. As David continues to not eat or drink much, as he sleeps more, and as he is unable to communicate his thoughts or feelings, we long for the day he is with Christ. On the other hand it is hard to imagine our home and family void of his presence. As I write this blog I hear David moaning and crying in his room with Brenda and our friend, Sue Craig. It makes me long for the day he will cry no more, as he is welcomed into heaven by his Savior. I can't imagine going through this journey without the sure and certain hope of eternity.

For the past two days David has been very sleepy and much more calm. We don't know if the medicines we are giving him are finally building up in his system or he is simply slowing down. He still has periods where he cries out and moans. He has also started to have what appear to be mini seizures where he seems startled, his legs begin to shake, and he is very wide eyed, almost as if he were frightened. Please pray this stops.

Many people ask how we are coping. Friends and family are providing food, some are cleaning, cards are coming in the mail, and we are learning to not expect to get as much done as we once did. We have a great staff who love David, Compassion Net is pouring out their support, and Brenda and I are holding strong. It has been tough on Christopher and Daniel. Christopher has the support and love of a wonderful young lady by the name of Brittney, Daniel is surrounded by good friends like Katie and Josh. We feel tired all the time. My work is both a relief and a challenge. Keep praying. Thanks for loving us!

7 comments:

  1. Wish we could be there to hold your hands but we are praying daily for you and holding all your crew close in our hearts. Love and warm hugs. Ted & Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. love and prayers for your whole family everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. working in a physicians office in Manlius, I have dealt with Hospice for many years. They are wonderful, compassionate caregivers. Dr Pam Horst is amazing. David, and you will find true comfort with them. I will continue to pray for David and your family. You are amazing, loving parents. Despite the pain and hurt you're enduring, you both push through it for your children. Thank you for sharing yourlove story with everyone. Jeni Yancey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Pfohl family! My name is Judy, our family goes to IBC in Ipswich, MA, which is where Chris occasionally worships and serves. First, know that our church family prays for David and all of you regularly. Second, I am compelled to write having recently gone through a hospice experience with my Dad last spring, only 8 months from terminal diagnosis. Until Jesus welcomes David into His loving arms, savor the good, rest when you can, and lay the difficult on Jesus. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. It sounds like you have a great deal of support which is great! I'm sure hospice has given you booklets to read, I hope you find them as helpful as I did.
    Prayers for peace and calm for you all as you continue this journey.
    In Jesus' love, Judy L.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart is literally breaking as I write this. What a great pain you have been called upon to bear in this life, and how great is the rock of your faith that you continue to find comfort and strength in the Lord. In your whole family I have so clearly seen Christ's compassion and love and I count this as a great blessing in my own life.

    Beyond this I am at a loss for what to say, if indeed there is anything else for me to say. I will keep your entire family in my prayers, praying for your continued strength and for peace for David, and I will look forward to a day when David will call me "Mr Hunter" and we'll laugh at our joke.

    In Jesus' precious name,

    Hunter Williams

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing today in church. Our hearts break with you and your family. We pray for all of you and for David to be at peace, comfort, and free from pain.

    In Christ,
    Melissa, Paul, and baby Audrey Ko

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nancy and John CentraOctober 22, 2009 at 8:45 AM

    Our thoughts and prayers will be with you as you go through these difficult days. You are a very special family. We leave today....

    ReplyDelete