Sunday, October 25, 2009

Wonderful celebration of a life well lived

Today's memorial service was awesome. There were over a 1,000 people who gathered to celebrate David's life. It was a time of worship, hope, inspiration, tears, laughter, and challenge. The verse we put on the bulletin was 2 Timothy 4:7-8:

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

David fought well. He lived well. He taught all of us what is important. While we grieve we also rejoice. What a dichotomy of feelings! Today we were loved on, served, and reminded over and over again that God is good and in control.

Over the past two days we have hosted all of Brenda's family: Mom and Dad Bell, her two sisters, their husbands and kids, Dad's sister, and Christopher's girlfriend. It has been a blast. They served us and loved on us. We are so blessed to have such a wonderful family. My family as well hung out here. Most times we had over 30 people eating, drinking, playing, laughing, and telling stories.

I hope to post a link to a video that was played at David's memorial service so keep your eyes open. it is late and it has been a long day. We love you all.

5 comments:

  1. It was an incredible event. What a celebration! Even the sun shined on this day...like David was smiling down at us with that one of a kind infectious smile of his. God Bless you and your wonderful family.

    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday was incredible. While it was a wonderful tribute to David, it also was a glorius celebration and honor to God.
    As the sun came through the windows in the foyer, you couldn't help but wonder if God Himself smiled at all of us, with David next to Him.

    God Bless You Pfohl's,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometime, when you can take time, would you please post the list of "Things I Learned From David" so beautifully given at the service by the "CHEESE HEAD MAN." His being first was a perfect start to the sharing time, a loving tribute to David. The service, the sharing, the fellowship, everything was well done for a well lived life, through a Savior who cuses us to say, "IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL."
    Continuing to hold you in prayer, Mary Mero

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am still in awe, amazament, sadness, hope and inspiration after that moving tribute to David. It was truly wonderful and I realized after listening to everyone speqk, that Davids purpose here was to help everyone else. In his death and memorial service, I learned so many important lessons. David makes me want to strive to be a better servant to God and to laugh and love with an incredible passion! I hope your family finds great peace and comfort in knowing that Davids life has impacted countless people to follow the Lord more whole heartedly. I know he did mine. Jeni Yancey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Warren and family,
    I first have to say that my heart aches for you all, and the fact that our world will not have David in it anymore. However, I know that David is much happier sitting next to Jesus, talking and laughing. Even though we all knew this time was coming, I couldnt help but tear up and get that golf ball feeling in my throat when I would see David in his last months and weeks at church. I wanted so badly for him to be the way he was back when Dan and I helped out the youth group 3 years ago, so I could talk to him and he could make me laugh :o)

    I cant imagine what it is like to lose a child, but I know that God will hold you close and bring you through this. He wouldnt have tasked you with raising David if He didnt believe that you would make it through and see His goodness. Your whole family is so strong and inspirational.

    We're incredibly sad that we couldnt make it to the memorial service. Thank you for posting it to the blog. I definitely plan to watch it tomorrow. I'm sure I'll need a whole box of tissues!

    Thank you for continuing to share this incredibly difficult journey with all of us. We pray for you every day and will continue to do so. Please keep posting. I love learning more about David and his steadfast faith :o)

    Much Love,
    BrandiLee & Dan Schafran

    ReplyDelete