Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My Dearest David

Every day we look forward to opening the mailbox to read notes from people who loved David and love us. One of the letters we opened the other day was addressed to David. We thought someone must not have known he had passed away. I asked the friend who wrote it (a young lady just a few years younger than David) if I could share it on my blog. Her letter starts out, "My Dearest David..."

I hear word that you have made it home. In what other news might I find such tranquil peace? Nowhere, I assure you. My soul, although weighted with grief, is swooning over thoughts of the joy you must be finding now. And Oh, what joy that must be, as if the passion and energy you showed us on earth wasn't enough! And thus I've come to the first point I wanted to thank you for. For never letting me believe that true children of God live without vibrance, but rather are called to a life of expressive jubilance, just as you always showed me.

It is funny, David, living out here in ******. I am very far from my family, but very much in the arms of God. Getting an education from Bible College, they just can't talk enough at us about the impactful missionaries and upstanding organizations thriving in the Christian world. But, David, I just want to tell them about the missionary of the highest integrity I have ever come to know, YOU! I want to tell them of your elegant dance upon this earth, and of the vast audience you had, falling more in love with the Lord with each pirouette you did for us. Your fingerprints will remain stamped on the surface of my heart forever. And that is the true impact of a true missionary and so I thank you again.

Thank you for you. Our hearts are battered as we think about life on this earth apart from you, your laughter, your clapping, your joking. But the truth is, there is nothing better than the fact that you are home now. You have better eyesight than I, as I sit here with my glasses. you can probably play basketball better than Shaq now. And you are conspicuously happier than Bill Gates, Oprah Winfrey, and Brad Pitt put together. I love you deeply, and will never cease to.

Your story will be carried on forever,I make that a promise. I also promise to take care of your family to the best of my ability. (I love them deeply as well) I do not take a single lesson you taught me for granted. Thank you for the significance you have represented in my life. See you again when the time is right. I can't wait to look in your eyes and know you're looking back!


With all of the love that is in my heart,

1 comment:

  1. Every day I wake up, I check David's Blog. It usually has something that I can read, relect on,
    sometimes laugh and sometimes cry.
    This letter is incredible. Only God could of written a more fitting letter to David.
    It is a God inspired letter.
    God Bless the person who sent it.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete