Friday, October 30, 2009

One day at a time

Things have settled down at the Pfohl ranch. Chris left for Boston this morning, looking forward to see Brittney and get back to his studies and finding a job. Brenda has been in bed for three days with a very bad case of the flu. I have been playing nurse pushing water, tea, rest, and Tylenol. She also started taking Tamiflu. Daniel returned to school on Tuesday. Students and teachers have been very supportive.

We met as a family with a counselor on Tuesday. It was the same person we have been meeting with over the past year. We have now officially passed from Anticipatory Grief Counseling to Grief Counseling. One of the points she focused on is what she called the high jacking of your emotions. Man was she spot on. I can be cruising through the day, doing some mundane task, and all of a sudden be so overwhelmed with such sadness that all I can do is cry. I know that David is with Christ, I know that he is no longer suffering, and I know that we will see him again, but it hurts so deeply that he is no longer here.

She asked us if we have talked about what we are going to do with David's belongings. She encouraged us to not do anything until everyone is ready. What do you do with his button collection, his pencil sharpener collection, the Hess Trucks he got every year for Christmas, his pinewood derby cars, his walkie talkies, his Green Bay packer hats, his Yankee paraphernalia, his cheese heads, the hundreds of Odyssey CDs and tapes, and the list goes on. Each little item reminds us of a story or a "Davidism." I have a feeling we will be boxing and storing a number of his things until a later time.

All of us are feeling numb. Some of us want to cry but can't. Some of us feel we should be feeling sadder but we don't. Sometimes we will express being thankful we are no longer having to care 24/7 for David and then we feel guilty. We try to remember happier days but we get stuck thinking about the last few weeks of David's life. We are told this is normal. I don't like this normal but there isn't much I can do about it. So we keep talking with each other, we hug each other a lot more, I hear over and over again, "I love you", and we give each other permission to cry. Even one day at a time is overwhelming. Pray we hold on to each other, to our hope of eternity, for healing, and that the ripples of David's life will continue to impact many for Christ.

5 comments:

  1. Good to hear things are beging to cool down. I dont have anything witty or silly to say as I sometimes do, just that you are on my mind. I think Davids stuff will act as a reminder of all his neat little habits and likes. I think you should close the door for the time, heal a bit, then open the door and everytime you walk by Davids stuff will be a reminder and it will bring a smile to your face and possibly a happy tear. Of coarse that may be eisier said then done, so dont pay much attention to what I say. Just a thought. Miss you guys. Take care. Mike-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, one day at a time, sometimes only taking moment by moment I'm sure! Know that even though we are not experiencing the kind of pain that you are in, we hurt because you are suffering. Be gentle with youselves.
    Sybil

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have articulated the emotions of loss very well dear friend. Seven months out and the journey continues: we are all reluctantly searching for this new "normal". The McCollums are praying for the Pfohls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish that we could have a birthday burger and an extra large coke together. I miss you, David, and wish you here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a drink of whiskey Monday night in David's memory, and of course I had one for myself too. It was funny, all day I looked forward to being able to sit down and have it. When I finally got to sit down it was just a simple toast "Here's to David Pfohl" and it was a moment to remember David. Everytime I saw him I was garunteed a chuckle or a laugh and seeing David in the company of his family was always great. David was a sweet guy and I'm very happy to have known him. So, here's to David Pfohl. God called home one of the best and the world is short one more saint. Still, it'll make the next life that much sweeter.

    ReplyDelete